More on that mass drowning in the Mediterranean last night, from the CBC.
Italian prosecutors said a Bangladeshi survivor flown to Sicily for treatment told them 950 people were aboard, including hundreds who had been locked in the hold by smugglers. Earlier, authorities said a survivor told them 700 migrants were on board.
It wasn’t immediately clear if they were referring to the same survivor, and Italian Premier Matteo Renzi said authorities were “not in a position to confirm or verify” the death toll.
Locked in the hold. [shudder]
By nightfall Sunday, rescuers on 18 ships had found 28 survivors and “alas, 24 dead,” he said.
The premier of Malta, whose island nation participated in the search and rescue
(This is a syndicated post. Read the original at FreeThoughtBlogs.)