She had stopped thriving

“Well why didn’t you say so?”

Border Patrol and the Trump administration are shocked, shocked, to hear of the horrific conditions at the Clint Facility. They had no idea. They have moved 300 children to the nearest Trump hotel.

Not really. They’ve been taken to a tent facility. In Texas. So that will be a huge improvement.

Almost 300 migrant children have been removed from a border patrol facility in Texas after media reports of lawyers describing “appalling” and potentially dangerous conditions, Department of Homeland Security officials told NBC News.

The children have been taken to a tent detention camp also in El Paso, Texas, where they will remain under the custody of Border Patrol until they can be placed with the Department of Health and Human Services, the DHS officials said. The Associated Press first reported on the conditions at the facility.

“I have never seen conditions as appalling as what we witnessed last week,” she said. “The children are hungry, dirty and sick and being detained for very long periods of time.”

“Children who are young themselves are being told by guards they must take care of even younger children,” Mukherjee said, adding that children as young as 7 and 8 were forced to care for 2-year-olds.

She said almost all the children had been separated from the adults they crossed the border with — siblings, aunts or grandparents, or even their parents.

Remember being a little kid? Remember what it felt like just to get lost in a shop for a few minutes?

Meanwhile, a different team of attorneys said they had also encountered children in similar conditions when they visited the Central Processing Center in McAllen, Texas, this month.

“It’s the same conditions,” immigration attorney Hope Frye said.

Frye said she encountered a 17-year-old Guatemalan mother with a premature baby at the crowded facility. The mother was wheelchair-bound after an emergency C-section in Mexico. When Frye met her, she was “caked with dirt” and neither she nor her baby had showered since arriving, she said.

Frye said she took a tissue to clean the baby and wiped off “black dirt from her neck.”

Frye described the baby as looking weak and said the mother told her she had stopped thriving while at the facility.

Frye said she felt she had no choice but to come forward to tell the young mother’s story. The teen and her baby have since been released from Border Patrol custody.

“She told me she believed if they did not get out, her baby would die,” she said. “There is no question in my mind that it was the extreme love of this 17-year-old mother that kept that baby alive.”

Image result for statue of liberty

2 Responses to “She had stopped thriving”